Friday, October 2, 2009

Meat and Beets (Hummus Style)

John's mom gave us a bag of really good quality meat that I had to cook today. Although I was home all morning, I decided to make it BBQ style in the slow cooker (because who doesn't love fall-off-the-bone-meat? other than vegetarians, of course, but you know...). Rather than eat my way through my morning again, I made a delicious side instead... Beet Hummus!


Let's start with the meat.

Added BBQ sauce, ground flax seeds, garlic, vinegar, and water.

Added onions.

Cooked all day and served!
With a side of oven-baked fries (John made!)


Onto the Beet Hummus. We love hummus, as seen here. We also love beets (here and here). I saw this posted on This Is Why You're Thin! and knew I had to try it. John was afraid it would dye our blender pink, but when I had success with the beet smoothie, I knew I was good to go.

I roasted a beet and some garlic in the oven (400 degrees for 45 minutes).
Then I was supposed to peel the skin off the beet. Here is where I always get stuck. It is supposed to be sooooooooo easy to peel the skin off a cooked beet. I don my gloves and go to town, but I am usually rewarded with only a few pieces! NOT EASY! But... all in all I don't worry about it. The beet is clean (enough!) and the skin has nutritional value. I just eat it.

But I digress.

Next step? Add beet to blender with the juice of a lemon, 1/4 cup tahini, a can of chick peas, some water, and salt.
Blend and enjoy!

>

No comments:

Post a Comment