Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Greens and Smoothies and MACARONI MONDAY!

We got back from the farmers market with beets and swiss chard, among other things. I used the swiss chard in another attempt at a green smoothie.

Success!!!!! It was apples, oranges, swiss chard, a date, and some bananas. Wow.

The beets were destined for roasting (post to follow), but those greens and the swiss chard were an awesome side dish for macaroni and fake cream sauce.
Of course, they are sauteed with onions, garlic, and oil. I'm sure I've made my feelings toward greens cook this way here and here.

The cream sauce is something I am really proud of. I used to love alfredo-cream-cheesy sauces, but they NEVER agreed with my very sensitive tummy. I have developed this version with soy milk and it is delish! Even my alfredo-sauce-loving-soy-milk-hating-fiance approves!

1. Melt a spoonful of smart balance buttery spread in saucepan.
2. Add in soy milk (as much as you want, since this is the bulk of the sauce. Add a little more than you need because you will thicken it later)

3. Add in LOTS of parmesean cheese.
4. Thicken with whole wheat flour as needed
5. Bring to a light boil
6. Add to macaroni and enjoy!

>

No comments:

Post a Comment