Wednesday, May 12, 2010

First Day Back and Nut Butters

Now that the honeymoon is over (honestly!) and John and I are back into the swing of things, I have started to cook again!

I woke up extra early this morning so I would be able to make some nut butters for the week.  I had never made them completely from scratch.  Now, I know what you are thinking, "Hey!  I remember when you first got your food processor you made walnut and almond butters!  You even made them as presents for Christmas!!"And you would be right.  I did.  BUT.  I did not roast the nuts.  The peanuts were pre-roasted and the others were raw.  Today?  I did it all!

I roasted peanuts and almonds.  There are about 3 cups of shelled peanuts and 2 cups of slivered almonds.  They baked at 350 for 15ish minutes.  Until they were brown.  While they were still piping hot they went into the food processor.  
 For the peanut butter, I wanted to use the honey as a sweetener, so I drizzled it in as it processed.  
The heat from the nuts and the processor helped make it very creamy.  I didn't have to add any additional oil!
I just processed the heck out of it!
John wanted the almond butter sweetened with molasses.
So the entire process was repeated, replacing the peanuts with almonds and the honey with molasses.  
This one fit into a jar for storage!
I did add some salt to each.  While we were in Hawai'i we were able to snag some sea salt, which I pummeled with a mortar and pestle (or Tupperware and heavy smusher)  until it was ultra fine.  

The nut butters are so good!  They don't taste anything like store bought (in a good way!) and they are really really easy to make!

I will leave you with a photo of my yummy lunch... spinach salad with strawberries and Parmesan Cheese. 

>

No comments:

Post a Comment