Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Fun-Do!

Continuing with our efforts to spice up weeknight dinners, John and I recently had a fondue dinner!  Some people knew that our first date was at a fondue restaurant, so we have received a few fondue sets we had not yet put to good use.  I guess the assumption is that fondue is just for parties or something.  NOT TRUE!

The main course was a cheese fondue LOOSELY based upon this recipe.  It was another one of those moments when the stars align and the ingredients happen to be in the house.  The ONLY change we made was to use wine as the liquid.  
First, let me just say... Shredding the cheese in the food processor was SO EASY!
I am so glad we have it now!
We had been given a large chuck of regular commercial cheese, which we don't usually buy.  It was perfect for this because I somehow would have felt guilty for meting down that much good cheese.  Weird, I know.  I did spice it up with a little bit of an herb rubbed raw cheddar and fresh mozzarella.  Now that I know how easy and delicious this was, I feel ready to use GOOD cheeses in it.

Once the cheese was shredded, it was added to the other ingredients:
...and prepared for melting.
The only other prep work was getting the dippers ready.  We used carrot sticks, celery sticks, roasted potatoes, roasted asparagus, bread cubes, leftover roasted chicken breasts, and mushrooms. 
The cheese was slowly melted and enjoyed!
I must admit that it kind of turned into a ball of cheese instead of a sauce, but we didn't care.  It was good. 


For dessert, we mixed home made peanut butter, sugar, and a little grass-fed milk together and enjoyed it with bananas, strawberries, pineapples, and rice krispie yummies. 

That was probably the best part.

Lesson learned?  Don't wait for a party!  Fondue is Fun!

This was also posted at the Nourising Gourmet Pennywise Platter

>

No comments:

Post a Comment