Sunday, November 29, 2009

Oats and Oops

I have been running with this whole oats-for-breakfast thing.  I made clean out the fridge oats the other morning.



Oats with peanut butter, leftover apple butter (yes, from a million years ago when we went apple picking.  I finished the last bit in this meal.), flax seeds, and raisins.

Life was good.

Dinner was not.

Recently, John and I went to a restaurant and had a beet and lentil salad that was amazing.  I tried to re-create it for dinner and failed miserably.

It started out innocently enough.  I boiled some beets and cooked some lentils in chicken broth.
(for the record, it is 10:58 AM.  I prep dinner before work)
 
 I then cooked the beet greens in oil and vinegar.  Mistake #1.  They were super bitter.

I combined everything with a bunch of spices.  Mistake #2.  It was just not yummy.
 
THEN, I added ricotta cheese.  Mistake #3.  The salad we had at the restaurant had delicious goat cheese on it and it really made the dish.  We didn't have any so I thought to use ricotta.  NOT GOOD.

All in all I learned that my creation was gross and some things are better eaten out.  Especially when you have no idea what you are doing.

Oh well.  At least the leftover lentils were good in hummus. 


>

No comments:

Post a Comment