Thursday, March 4, 2010

Amazing, Incredible Soup. And Cornbread.

As the title suggests, dinner wassssssss AMAZING.  INCREDIBLE soup.  AND cornbread.  WOW!

I started with this cornbread recipe.  I followed the recipe exactly, for maybe the first time ever.  
I melted down a stick of buttah. 
 
While it melted, I mixed some milk, white vinegar, and eggs together. 
 
In a separate bowl I mixed cornmeal, flour, sugar, salt, and OH MY GOODNESS I FORGOT  THE BAKING SODA!!  That's probably why the consistency was off.  Oh, silly me. 
 
 When the butter was done, it was mixed into the liquid mix (while stirring so the eggs didn't cook!)
 
and then everything was mixed together.
 
MMMmmmmmmm.....
Do you have any idea how hard it is too take a picture of yourself with a SLR while licking a whisk?  Try it sometime.  

Anyway, I spread it all out into the pan (Yes, I used the butter wrapper method to grease it) and John baked it @ 375 for a while.  
I didn't manage to snap a photo before it was eaten.  Oops.
 


The soup was based on this recipe, but I had to make some changes.  
First I chopped up onions and garlic
 and threw them in the pan I had melted the butter in. 
Then I chopped up a sweet potato,
and that went in too.
 
After 5 minutes I added about 10 frozen chicken broth cubes, a can of tomato sauce, 1/2 a can of water, lots of black beans, salt, oregano, aaaaand
Cumin.
Confession:  I had never before used cumin.  
It was so good!  What a great spice!  It really deepened the flavor of the dish.  I guess venturing away from garlic, oregano, parsley, and basil can be enlightening.  
 
I cooked it all partially uncovered until the liquid was reduced.  
 
Ta-da!!!

>

No comments:

Post a Comment